Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Come on Down...

Yes, today I'm going to talk a little bit about The Price is Right. It's Tuesday and I don't really have much to talk about today...and this is something I've been meaning to write about for a while but just keep forgetting about and I happened to remember today...*breath*....

I have two anecdotes for you about the beloved game show. The first is not so interesting, but kind of funny to me and my family. My grandfather is a HUGE fan of the show. I'm anxious to discuss with him his feelings of the departure of Bob Barker. I am wondering how well he is going to like Drew... it may ruin the show for him.


When I was pregnant with my second born, I would watch The Price is Right every day. This was before the days of watching the Disney Channel, and Nick Jr.... I loved to call my grandfather and talk with him as we watched the show, or right after to talk about the contestants.

When I actually gave birth to my second daughter, we went in the hospital around 6am...watched the morning news show, and then whatever..The Price is Right...and as soon as that was over, we were in business... it was almost as if the announcer said "Come on Down!" and Lyanna did. We all think it's hilarious here...

The other thing that happened during that time was something I saw on one particular show. I don't know if anyone else happened to see it, or comment about it....but I thought I would pee my pants while watching it. *I was pregnant*

As usual a group of college kids was there. One of the guys was called down to the front. Every time he was asked to bid on an item he would give the same amount:
$420.


FOUR TWENTY!!! His friends were dying in their seats each time, laughing their assess off, the rest of the audience had no clue what was going on, and Bob definitely didn't. Knowing that the audience was totally clueless was funny enough...I kept wondering why no one took the kid off the air...but I guess no one at the show knew what was going on either...which made it even more funny..I sort of felt sorry for Bob, because it was kind of sad to see him being duped that way..... It was hilarious, I just wish the guy would have actually wond something and gotten on stage...that would have been GREAT!

"Gotta go with four twenty Bob..." "Bob, I gotta say four twenty..." "Sticking with four twenty this time Bob..."

That had to be, hands down, one of the funniest days of that show for me.

If you don't know about 4:20 here is the Wikipedia definition and a linky poo:

4:20 (cannabis culture)

4:20 or 4/20 (pronounced four-twenty) is a term used in North America as a discreet way to refer to the consumption of cannabis and, by extension, a way to identify oneself with cannabis culture. Phrases such as "420 friendly" sometimes appear in roommate advertisements, indicating that the current occupants are tolerant of cannabis users. [2]




4 comments:

Kelly O said...

4:20 -- heh. How did I not know that? I'm usually so up on pop culture references.

Carol Blymire said...

I had the great fortune to be in the studio audience for TPIR two years ago, and sat near the front, so I was in every crowd shot. One of my friends got on the show and WON the Showcase Showdown -- we hooted and screamed like banshees... it was one of the best experiences of my LIFE. :)

Lee said...

Kelly - I'm always surprised how many people don't know this reference. Maybe it's wierd that I know...

DG!!! - So glad to have you stop by again. I remember you posting about your PIR experience. I'm jealous that you were there! It will never be the same without Bob there. Hope things are going well with you!

Lee

Carrie said...

Smart-aleck kid!! lol!!! The only reason I know what 4-20 is is because of my sister-in-law, but that's a story for another day :)