Monday, September 11, 2006

For my Brothers




I am going to get to my brothers...hang with me.

Today is a day that will always be a day of remembrance for me. A day to look back on the past and take a moment to honor those who gave their lives. It doesn't matter if they were passengers on a plane, civilians in a building, or the brave men and women who were Emergency Responders. They all deserve to be remembered. I also want to honor the men and women of our armed forces who are willing to lay their lives on the line to support our rights to live in a free country, hopefully one day without fear of being attacked for those beliefs.

Where was I on September 11, 2001? I was in Arkansas. I was at home instead of at school because I was sick. One of my friends called me and told me to turn on the television.

I wasn't anywhere close to what was happening, I didn't know anyone who was in the towers or the Pentagon. I was "safe" in my own home. It didn't matter, I was shocked, scared, and left with a feeling of disconnection.

Five years later I still feel shocked that anything like the attacks that day could have happened. I still feel scared that something like that could happen again.

I am so lucky to come from a family that believes in service. My brothers and I were always taught to help others when you can. We all took that to heart in deciding our professions.

I became a teacher, not very glamourous or dangerous...although there are times when it seemed dangerous.

I'm proud to say that one of my brothers is a firefighter and my other brother is an Officer in the Army National Guard.

I am so proud of both of them. The youngest has served in Iraq, and helped in the Katrina Relief Effort immediately after the storm.

The oldest brother has fought many fires in our hometown, some of the fierce and dangerous.

They are my heroes. They are brave, strong, loving, caring men.

I love you guys!!! I couldn't have asked God to give me two greater brothers.

No comments: