Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cabin Fever

I once read a short story in Dr. Story's (yes my all time favorite professor was an English Prof. named Dr. Story) class at Hendrix about two women who lived in the Mountains somewhere and would get snowed in every winter. They would open their home up to stranded people and sometime during the long cold winter months they would get "cabin fever" - not to mention run out of food - and they would eat their guest or guests. I even wrote a paper on this story. If I knew who the author was or what it was called I would tell you, but I can't remember and I'm too lazy to go looking for it in my old stuff.



Anyway, I "get" cabin fever. I have not left my house since Monday. I have been with my two children 24/7 since Monday afternoon. I love my children and for some people that might seem like a good thing no big deal. But for me it is a long ass time. I want to get out of my house, and I want to get away from my children. I can't even get the two of them to stay in their rooms for an hour and watch a movie so I can have some quiet time. I am starting to feel my anxiety levels rise. I am losing my patience too quickly. Snow days suck.



For some reason my husband doesn't seem to understand that this might be a little bit of a long time to be cooped up and not be sick. He has left the house every day and gone to work, even driven to Parkersburg and back. He has interacted with other adults face to face, not on the phone or over the computer. I don't know it's kind of one of those things that if you aren't experiencing it you don't understand it, or you just don't realize it is going on.

No comments: